9.9.14

History of Home with British Gas


Have you ever been asked the question: "if your house was on fire, what would be the first thing you'd grab?"

Well, my answer is 'a fire extinguisher to try and put the bugger out'.

My home is so important to me, so when I noticed that British Gas had challenged bloggers to talk about a 'nostalgic item' in their home, I knew exactly what it was. You see, it doesn't necessarily have to mean something old, but rather something that evokes that warm fuzzy feeling and holds millions of memories. That's why my nostalgic item IS my home.

Living on a narrowboat is not what your average twenty-something does, let's be honest. Let alone your average twenty-something in heels and Michael Kors. But since we moved on to Shoestring nearly a year ago, my life completely changed for the better.

There's something so beautiful about the British waterways, and in particular, the canals. Just think of all the history it holds: the canal system played a vital role in the Industrial Revolution, and the UK was the first country to acquire a canal network. You can't help but feel just that little bit more connected to an older, less technology-orientated generation when cruising along the Trent & Mersey. And there's something about that which fills me with a sense of nostalgia.

Although realistically, we won't live on the boat forever, I'm hoping we can always keep it for holidays and weekend getaways - which will be especially fun when we have a family of our own! When I'm old and wrinkly, I just know I'll look back so fondly on the memories that the boat has given me. In the collage above, you can see some of the lovely times we've had on the boat so far.

These photographs are screen shots from our Channel 4 documentary 'The Riverside Dream' as part of the 'Home Truths' series. In case you have absolutely no idea what I'm talking about, basically a television production company approached Rob and I because they thought our life was interesting enough to put on the television! Once I got over the cringing and 'is that really what I sound like?!', I realised that a documentary is actually a pretty cool thing to have, and hopefully our children and their children can look back on it, and it'll spark some kind of nostalgia in them too.

Click here to watch our documentary!


Do you have a nostalgic item in your home? I would love to hear about it!



No comments:

Post a Comment